A warm welcome to new Sydney Comics Guild Members! We’re excited to have you onboard and hope you’ll grow and develop comic skills with the SCG community. Feel free to introduce yourself and ask questions. As a member of Sydney Comics Guild, you can also participate in conventions, zine fairs, art exhibitions, yearly anthology, critique groups, CRABS (comic book club) and more!
IMPORTANT: You are welcome to ALL events. Facebook DOESN’T send invites to the whole guild, SO PLEASE INVITE YOURSELF.
On the SCG Main board, we have sub groups on the right under see more and general dates under the facebook banner.
SCG Calendar (All events are free)
- Social Meet Up: 4th Saturday of every month. Central Park Shopping Centre Ultimo, 2nd floor next to Koffie. Meet comic enthusiasts, eat, draw. We’re starting to introduce announcements and activities to the social meet ups.
- Workshops: Fortnightly and free.
- Mid-week meeting: Every Tuesday, fortnightly. Central Park Shopping Centre, Chippendale, 2nd floor next to Koffie. Your point of contact is Nathan Seabolt.
- Activities: E.g. Book swap, 24 hours comic challenge.
Sydney Comics Guild Facebook Group
- Post questions on SCG and get help.
- Promote your comics, kickstarter etc… (see rules at the end).
- Find work opportunities and upcoming events
- Contribute to SCG Comics Gallery on facebook.
- Contact Anna RIART with your digital cover illustration (1 per series), pitch in 2 sentence max and maximum of 3 links e.g. your comic site, facebook group etc…
- Ever thought artist tables were too expensive or daunting? Then exhibit under SCG!
- Conventions include Smash, Supanova and Oz Comic Con depending on member interest.
- 1/3 table, ½ table or 1 table available.
- Our Convention and Zine Fair co-ordinator is Karen Beilharz.
- Karen Beilharz keeps an eagle eye on upcoming zine fairs for SCG to participate in.
- Pay less and exhibit your artwork in a group.
- Contact our art Curator Leon Harvey for details.
- Want to make comics but don’t have the will?
- There’s a yearly theme, an anthology support group and we will collect and print the anthologies.
- Theme for 2015 is “Dragon, umbrella, robot and cat.”
- Anthology deadline is still open, contact Jemima Trappel; our anthology director. http://sydneycomicsguild.org/anthologies/
- We are running critique groups, post on SCG if you’re interested and we may be able to fit more people.
- CRABS (Comics Really appreciated by Sydney) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1633205763590159/
Rules for posting
- Feel free to promote yourself, especially if your new! Just post a link to your website or blog. We want to hear about any new projects, challenges, web-comics or comic book launches. Feel free to share your latest artwork and comics!
- However self-promotion posts should only be posted once every month unless you have a new project or kickstarter then once a week is fine. If you are unsure about whether your being part of the community or spammy then feel free to ask
- Share resources! What’s happening, workshops, tutorials online and all that! If you’ve found something useful, share it!
- Feel free to talk comic news and argue. If you want everyone to know about a publisher mistreating it’s comic creators, a new comic movie or death of a super star, share it here. Argue both the meaningful stuff and the small stuff like whether you like Marvel or DC or what art program is the coolest. There are heaps of comic creators here with a lot to say so feel free to say it! Try and keep it mostly comic related, art and writing topics are fine but try and bring it back to comics. Thanks!